Shake Up September - Workplace Challenge
Are you ready for the #SeptemberShakeUp Workplace Challenge?
Shake Up September, a Workplace Challenge initiative, gives busy working people a chance to try a new sport or activity, with points awarded for participation. This national contest which is open to both individuals and workplace teams, is centred on accepting a unique challenge:
Out of 150+ sporting activities on offer, choose one, do it once – either once a day or once a week.
You set the rules. There's no commitment and there’s the whole month of September to join in with the challenge.
By joining the Shake Up September challenge, you can choose to simply shake up your activity routine by having a go at one new activity, or to accept the ultimate challenge and take part in the new activity as much and as often as possible throughout the month.
Although the minimum requirement is to try one new activity, there's really no limit to the number of new sports or activities you can try. You could even set yourself a goal to see how many sporting activities you can try during the month.
Sportspark offers you a multitude of sporting facilities and activities to choose from including:
- Badminton (look out for our new SmashUp! Badminton sessions commencing 17th September)
- Circuit Training
- Climbing *
- Dance Aerobics
- Dance Fitness*
- Football (3G floodlit 5-aside and 7-aside pitches)
- Gym (Fitness Centre)
- Indoor Cycle
- Personal Training
- Running* (we have a 400 metre x 8 lane athletics track)
- Swimming lessons (16+)
- Table Tennis*
- Walking Football
- Zumba Gold*
*FILL programme (Fitness in Later Life - for the over fifties)
So there really is a huge choice of options when it comes to deciding on your own sporting challenge.
Guidelines recommend that we should all aim to do a minimum of 150 minutes exercise each week. These guidelines offer so many benefits which include better sleep, improved mood, sociability, reduced stress, less risk of sickness, increased confidence, increased creativity, to name just a few. So when it comes to making activity a regular part of your week, finding something you enjoy and want to do (rather than feel you should do) is half the battle.
Shake Up September really is the ideal opportunity to have a go at different activities to find something you really love.
So, how can you shake up your September?
- Sign up to the Shake Up September campaign on the Workplace Challenge website.
- Choose your activity – remember, Sportspark offer a great range of activities and tasters.
- Choose your challenge and set your own goals. Whether you just want to have a go at something you've never tried before (or something you haven't done since school), or whether you've got eye on the prize of being crowned national #SeptemberShakeUp champion, it's important to keep your challenge and your targets personal.
- Log your participation and watch your points grow. Use the Workplace Challenge smartphone app or their personalised online dashboard to record and monitor your activity. Track your performance against your own targets as well, as against other participants.
7 ways to get the most out of Shake Up September
- Try taster sessions.
- Choose an activity you think you'll enjoy.
- Turn peer pressure into peer power – simply round up your colleagues and office friends and turn peer pressure into peer power. The mutual support of others with similar fitness goals will make your activity more rewarding and enjoyable.
- Set yourself a target: research shows that effective goal setting can help enhance performance in both sport and business.
- Make a plan: having a goal is one thing. Making a plan of how you'll achieve it is equally important.
- Write it down: whether it's an annoying little sticky note on your screen or pinboard or a regular pop up entry on your work calendar, writing your goals down IN BIG, FAT, BOLDED LETTERS and setting yourself reminders is a great way to motivate yourself, or, at least, to nag yourself to get the job done and tick it off the list.
- Tell the world and spread the word: use #SeptemberShakeUp to spread the word on social media and boast about your newfound fave activity!